L.C.G.G. Murree is the elite institution of Pakistan with time-tested, glorious traditions in the fields of academics, co and extra curricular activities, created by its pupils, popularly known as ‘Gallians’. Lawrence College is a public school on the pattern of the well-known public schools of the world. Established in 1860 after Sir Henry Lawrence, the oldest residential institution of its type in Pakistan. Lawrence College started as an asylum with the object to provide a plain and practical education to the orphans and the children of the British soldiers in India. It had 82 children in its care initially. The number rose to 204 boys and 101 girls in 1914 when it was taken over by the Government of the Punjab as the Lawrence Memorial School, and 356 boys and 124 girls, when it became the Lawrence College in 1927, with the construction of the Lower Estate. The Girls Section was transferred to Saint Denny’s School Murree in 1949. The college was handed over to the Board of Governors in 1962 (Grant of Autonomy by the Punjab Government) effective todate. Today, there are about 715 boys on the roll of the three schools. The number is expected to rise further, as the time passes.
The Lawrence College, Ghora Gali, Murree is situated at the beautiful foothills of the Himalayas at a height of about 1950 meters (6397 feet) above the sea level, on a pine-covered spur. The estate covers an area of about 150 acres and lies at a distance of about 2 km from the Rawalpindi-Murree Road, some 4 km from Murree and 57 km from Rawalpindi. The climate is excellent. In summers, the temperature seldom reaches 35C. Monsoon rains of July and August are intermittent. During the cold weather, when the estate is usually snow-bound, the college is closed for about three months, from December to February.